Tooth-Colored Fillings – Daytona Beach, FL
Repair Cavities Without Any Metal!
If you had a cavity in the past, your only option was to get a piece of metal placed in your tooth. This left a lot of patients concerned about not only the appearance of their smile, but the trace amounts of mercury inside these kinds of fillings. Thankfully, dentistry has come a long way since those days. Modern fillings are made of a composite resin material, which bonds directly to the tooth and blends in with its natural color. To top it all off, tooth-colored fillings in Daytona Beach contain zero metal! To learn more about what tooth-colored fillings are and how they can benefit your smile, give us a call today.
Why Choose Lakeside Daytona Dentist for Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- Blend Right in with Your Smile
- Contain Tooth-Friendly Materials, No Metal!
- Can Last Up to 10 Years
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings are made of a putty-like substance called composite resin, which consists of ultra-fine particles of glass, acrylic, and silica. Our dentists can customize the material to exactly match the shade of your natural enamel, blending your filling in with the rest of your smile. We choose this material not only because it can be color-matched to your teeth, but because it bonds directly to the tooth, sealing out bacteria and preventing future cavities.
How Do Tooth-Colored Fillings Work?
We begin the process of placing tooth-colored fillings by numbing the treatment area with local anesthetic. The damaged, decayed portion of the tooth is removed. Once the area is completely cleaned, we place the color-matched composite resin layer by layer until the tooth is built back up to the perfect size and shape. Then we use a curing light to harden the material into place. After we check your bite and make any final adjustments as needed, we send you on your way to enjoy your newly healed and natural-looking smile!
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Obviously, the main advantage of tooth-colored fillings is that they are completely metal-free. However, you’ll be happy to know that they come with several other benefits, including:
- You can smile with greater confidence knowing your filling is unnoticeable to others.
- Tooth-colored fillings are quite durable. With proper care, you can expect yours to last more than a decade!
- The composite resin creates a tight seal, preventing bacteria from accumulating in tiny spaces.
- Depending on how many cavities you’re getting filled at once, treatment can usually be completed in just under an hour.
- You’re less likely to experience sensitivity than with metal fillings.
- With metal fillings, more of your enamel must be removed to make room. On the other hand, tooth-colored fillings allow you to retain more of your natural tooth structure.
- Composite resin supports remaining tooth structure, preventing future damage or breakage.
Caring for Your Tooth-Colored Fillings
To help ensure that your tooth-colored fillings last as long as possible, follow these tips:
- Wait to chew with that area of your mouth until the anesthetic wears off.
- If you experience any soreness after the anesthetic wears off, take an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen as directed on the bottle.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a fluoridated toothpaste and floss once daily. Maintaining excellent oral hygiene is key to making your fillings last.
- Limit foods and drinks that cause discoloration. Your fillings are not resistant to staining.
Visit us every six months for a checkup and cleaning to make sure your fillings are still in good condition.