Post-Op Instructions for Oral Surgery – Daytona Beach, FL
Proper care of the mouth following most oral surgical procedures can reduce complications and speed the healing of the surgery area. Follow these tips for a smooth recovery:
- Protection of blood clot: Maintain gentle pressure by biting on the gauze sponge that’s placed over the surgical area, or by biting on a tea bag which has been gently moistened and wrapped in a piece of gauze. Keep steady and firm pressure for 60 minutes. Place saturated gauze in a proper trash receptacle. Repeat as often as needed if only bleeding continues.
- Do not rinse: No rinsing or mouthwash for at least 24 hours. After 24 hours, gently rinse with warm water every 1-2 hours as recommended. (The use of commercial mouthwashes during the healing period is not encouraged).
- Discomfort: It is normal to experience some discomfort after surgery. If medication has been given or prescribed, take as indicated.
- Brushing: Carefully brush your teeth in the area of the mouth not involved with surgery. A clean mouth helps promote healing.
- Eating: Consuming adequate food and fluid intake following surgery and/or general extractions is most important. If eating your regular diet is too difficult, you may supplement your diet with liquids such as Carnation Instant Breakfast (CIB/any flavor). Eating food is important for prompt healing following oral surgery. Should you not be able to chew solid foods of any nature for several days or longer, follow a nutritionally balanced liquid diet.
- Avoid: Be sure to avoid all excessive activity and don’t pick at the surgical area. Also, don’t consume liquids through a straw, avoid alcohol, and refrain from smoking until healing is well established.
- Sutures: If they were used, do not fail to return for their removal on the appointment date given.
- Control of swelling: Gently apply ice packs to the area for periods of 20 minutes on, and 10 minutes off. This routine should continue for the first 24 hours only.
- Allergic reactions: For rash, itching, etc., call us immediately.
Please call us if you have any emergency questions or concerns following your procedure. If you are trying to reach us after hours, call Dr. Silva at (954) 683-3009 or Dr. Santeli at (786) 252-0900.