Implant Dentures – Daytona Beach, FL
Rebuild a Complete, Strong Smile
According to one estimate, roughly 23 million people are completely edentulous (missing all of their teeth). Many of those individuals choose traditional dentures to rebuild their smile. While such prosthetics have their advantages, they also have some noteworthy disadvantages. Is there a better solution? For most patients, yes! Contact Lakeside Daytona Dentist today to learn more about implant dentures in Daytona Beach. They are stronger, longer-lasting, and more comfortable than traditional dentures.
What Are Implant Dentures?
A dental implant is a prosthetic tooth root that we surgically insert into the jawbone. Over time, it bonds with the bone so it can provide a strong base of support for the artificial tooth (or teeth) that go on top of it. Implants provide dentures with the strength and stability that are often lacking in non-implant forms of tooth replacement.
There are a few different types of implant dentures. Depending on your circumstances, we might recommend one of the following:
Fixed/Permanent Implant Dentures
These dentures are permanently attached to the implants that support them, a fact that makes them convenient and similar to natural teeth in many ways. These prosthetics are only removed during dental appointments. They typically require 4 – 6 dental implants per arch, which means they often require greater jawbone volume than removable implant dentures.
Removable Implant Dentures
Removable implant dentures “snap” onto ball- or bar-shaped attachments. They usually require 2 – 5 implants to support them. Their removability makes them similar to traditional dentures in that they must be taken out of the mouth for daily cleaning. They are a popular treatment among patients who have lost some bone volume in their jaw.
The Implant Denture Procedure
The procedure for dental implants in Daytona Beach can vary from patient to patient. In general, though, four main steps are necessary:
- Consultation. Your implant dentist in Daytona Beach will evaluate your candidacy for the treatment and start planning your procedure.
- Implant placement surgery. We will carefully insert the dental implants into your jawbone at precise, pre-planned positions.
- Osseointegration and abutment. Over a period of a few months, your implants will form a strong bond with the surrounding bone, after which you will receive attachments that will keep your denture in place.
- Restoration. Our team will design and place your beautiful new teeth.
Am I a Candidate for Implant Dentures?
Most adults qualify for implant dentures, either right away or after some preliminary treatments. In general, candidates for the procedure:
- Have excellent oral hygiene habits.
- Have enough density and volume in their jawbone to support dental implants. If you don’t meet this criterion, a bone graft may help.
- Are determined to care well for their implants (for example, it would be ideal if you do not smoke).
- Are well enough to recover smoothly from minor surgery.
Benefits of Combining Dentures & Dental Implants
Some of the most outstanding benefits of implant dentures include:
- Strength and stability. Implant dentures are strong enough to stay in place even when you are eating relatively tough foods, such as meats, fresh vegetables, and virtually anything else.
- Aesthetics. We design the size, shape, and color of dentures with the goal of making them look as natural as possible.
- Jawbone preservation. Dental implants stimulate the jawbone and prevent much of the deterioration that normally occurs after tooth loss.
Longevity. Traditional dentures may last for just 5 – 8 years. Dental implants may last a lifetime, and implant dentures also have a long life expectancy.