Your smile is one of the first things that people notice about you, so don’t you want it to look absolutely stunning during big events and special get-togethers? Luckily, teeth whitening is a fantastic solution that can have your smile looking great for your friend’s wedding, your high school reunion, or anywhere you need to look your best. Here’s everything you need to know about the teeth whitening process including viable methods, the expected timeline, and tips for preserving your results.
How Can I Whiten My Teeth?
When it comes to safely and effectively whitening your teeth, there are three common methods:
- Store-bought products – These are the cheapest and most convenient options for whitening your teeth, and you certainly get what you pay for. These products contain whitening agents that are often diluted, and the trays aren’t custom fitted to your mouth. This leads to varying results that often don’t last long—save the teeth whitening for the professionals!
- In-office whitening – This method is performed by your dentist in their office and is the most effective way to whiten your smile. Your dentist has access to special tools and equipment that are better than anything you can buy yourself. They will polish and whiten your teeth within a matter of minutes, providing results that can last for up to three years with proper oral care.
- Take-home whitening kits – This is a viable alternative to in-office whitening, as your dentist will provide you with the necessary materials and detailed instructions. The process takes longer than in-office whitening (usually 2 – 4 weeks), but many patients prefer the convenience of whitening at home on their own schedule.
When Should I Whiten My Teeth?
Once you’ve settled on how you’re going to whiten your teeth, you must decide on when you’re going to whiten them. Since different treatments have different timelines, it’s all about planning ahead. In-office whitening takes about an hour to complete, but the results aren’t fully visible for sometimes up to two weeks. And with take-home kits, you’re gradually whitening your teeth over the course of a few weeks. In any case, it’s wise to begin your whitening treatment a few weeks in advance of your planned event, for your whitening results to be fully visible.
How Do I Keep My Smile White and Bright?
After you’ve had your teeth whitened, it then becomes a matter of preserving their new glow! Consider the following to maintain your whitened teeth:
- Avoid foods and beverages known to contain staining agents including soda, coffee, wine, tea, berries, red sauces, etc.
- Brush and floss your teeth daily and regularly use a mouth rinse.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products.
- Visit your dentist often for checkups and cleanings.
Knowing what to expect when it comes to the teeth whitening process can help to ensure that your smile looks its absolute best, no matter where you’re headed. Talk with your dentist if you’d like to have a whiter and brighter smile in time for your next big event.
About the Practice
Lakeside Daytona Dentist proudly serves patients and families in the Daytona Beach area under the leadership of Dr. Gladston Silva and Dr. Lisset Gonzalez! Both Dr. Silva and Dr. Gonzalez have several years of experience and expertise in a wide variety of fields and their practice offers many available services, including cosmetic options like teeth whitening! To schedule a visit, please contact the practice’s website or give them a call: (386) 274-2021.